Thursday, April 21, 2011

back at boyce

I've gotta say that I've really been enjoying Mt Boyce lately, as shown by heading up there again yesterday! I caught up with Liam & Angela again and drove up with some multipitch trad in mind and there was no complaints from me when we decided on 'Wild is the Wind' (15**) near Solo Gully at Mt Boyce. Apart from a short climb near the top a while ago, I've never really explored this area and from where we based ourselves, at 'Walk-down Gully' (how do they come up with these names...), I was impressed! The whole area has very featured climbs going up everywhere with a nice spread of grades, mainly trad. I like.

Photobucket

We wandered around the base and started up the first pitch of WW, a hairy traverse, then easily up to a nice belay. You can see we were using Liam's double ropes, a first for me - handy but kinda cluster-fucky. Then it was my turn to lead up pitch 2 which went quite nicely with a fun, cranky start then a traverse into a little wall climbing with a fair few bolts leading to the greatest belay ledge ever! We should have brought lunch! Great views and very spacious...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Liam then prepares to step out into nothing-ness for the start of pitch 3, a few very cool moves here!

Photobucket

Photobucket

and up!

Photobucket

Angela contemplates... and swings out!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

After lunch, Angela jumped on 'Gently Mine' (14**), a lovely flake/crack with fun moves the whole way. Unfortunately I don't have pics as I was on belay duty but hopefully I'll get some emailed to me soon... After I cleaned, we rapped off and Liam led the spectacular 'Gates of Janus' (16**), an awesome corner crack just a few meters to the right...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

After that we began the near vertical bash out of the gully back to the car - another great day in the mountains! 

No comments:

Post a Comment