Saturday, September 11, 2010

birthday pressure & barrenjoey

Well, it's that time of the year again, Maria's Birthday - Happy Birthday Baby! and, as usual, she was doing her best to get present clues out of me - and I sorta cracked this year... but, I got her a sweet new lens for the camera and thought she may enjoy playing with it on our mission to Barrenjoey with Dave yesterday. So yeah, I caved & she got her present a day early.
Anyhoo, we headed up after a brief morning shower to find nice dry rock and we racked up for a warm up on the mixed 'Professor Wiggimworth's Chunder Bucket' (16) - charming route name ay? I'll just call it 'the professor'. I've top-roped this a few times in the past but this was my first time on point and I was pleased to find it easier than I'd remembered. Dave cleaned & we rapped off to hit my mission for the day - 'Liquid Insanity' (18). A pretty thin start for an odd first clip then up with the remainder of the climb being pretty straight forward - disappointingly I had a slip onto the first bolt, so, like 'Marsupial Smearer' (18) next door, I'll have to come back to get it clean. Interestingly, although it looks harder from the ground, I found LI a fair bit easier. With a belay set, Dave pretty much levitated up where I had struggled (to my disgust!) and we were soon rapping off and I found myself belaying Dave on Carrie Bradshaw.
Meanwhile, we were watching storm clouds burst to the south over the city, happy that we looked in the clear, until we felt a few raindrops from a storm just to the north of us - but, never fear! Dave pulled out his iphone and after studying the weather radar he declared that we were about to be hammered by a storm moving in from the west! After a quick scramble to get ourselves organised, and a look at the blue skies to the west, Dave double checked his radar and we were amused to see that it was a few hours old...
After Dave made short work of CB we decided we should bail so as to have time to prepare 2kg of meatballs for a dinner party for Maria.... mmmmm Köttbullar!
With Maria's new lens, there's a ton of pics! Most are by her, but I think the first few are mine - but, whatever. Peace, out.


Our target!
I can't get tired of coming up here!


Our new wheels & Dave


Racking up


and from here on in, Maria gets pretty trigger happy!







Dave setting new heights for climbing fashion whilst following on the Professor

'my feet go where?!'





mmmm pastels


lock & load - next!




'no no, that way'






aaawwwww.....

No comments:

Post a Comment