Sunday, August 29, 2010

Back to Barrenjoey!

I love Barrenjoey! It's location is unbeatable, the rock is great, the climbing is plentiful in my grades, you can surf/swim after climbing and it's only a short drive from Manly! I could go on. And on, but you get my point... So, winter is pretty much over so Barrenjoey is getting warmer to climb at again and dries out nicely now so Dave, Mike & Serge joined me on Friday for a leisurely 11am departure from Manly - much nicer than our recent 6:30am kick-offs for the blueys! With a pie in our bellies we were walking up the beach by about midday - basking in the warm sun, I was surging with anticipation of getting back on rock at my local favourite.



We made the lunch rock our base/lounge room and warmed up on Carrie Bradshaw (14) on which Serge set a top-rope for the rest of us. It felt great to introduce Mike to the magic of climbing outdoors in such a location and after he lowered off CB, it was clear that he was hooked!


Serge on point -Carrie Bradshaw (14)

Dave - all smiles as usual






Serge & I left the others to climb on in that area and set off to scope out something for Serge as he was pretty much frothing at the mouth to lead some more trad - he has definitely got a taste for it now... He chose Orgasmic (11) and dispatched it in great style, grinning the whole way up, I then cleaned it and we left a top-rope for Dave & Mike who had by then joined us.

Serge just about topping out on Orgasmic (11)

me cleaning

"ROPE!"


Dave has a crack

mmmmm thrutchy

Next on the menu was the straight forward arete that goes straight up to the right from the Orgasmic belay, since I'd be staring at it whilst belaying Serge I figured that it'd go quite easily with gear so I launched up with Dave's belay and found it rather poxy for the first few meters then the choss petered out and the protection improved just in time for a fun top out move that thankfully made it worthwhile. Meanwhile, Serge climbed the slab next door - Benign (16). Whilst Mike was attempting this he decided where Dave & I had just climbed looked far easier so he bailed on Benign and headed for our new route which we then decided to call Mike's Cop-out (10) in his honour! And, with Mike being Mike, he was thoroughly stoked.
We then realised that time really does fly when having fun so we had to bail, but not until I climbined Benign to retrieve our gear. It's not a bad climb - and that's saying something as I'm not all that wild about slabs, but I am trying to improve on them so I was quite happy with the climb. Anyway, another bloody great day out with great mates in the sun on the rock!


Mike is clearly not that impressed with his day out...

No comments:

Post a Comment