Thursday, July 22, 2010

Thredbo & Beyond!

On Sunday Maria & I headed down to Thredbo for a little ski - fingers crossed for a forecast snowfall to come off (it didn't...) We stayed at the Alpenhorn Lodge in Thredbo on Sunday & Monday nights, which is a pretty nice little joint in a great location, right in the village with great views and a great hot breaky! A great way to start a day of hammering down the slim pickings available in this (so far) poor snow season - but what snow there was, was in pretty good condition due to the fairly cold temps.
The next morning, after a few token stuff-arounds, we headed up the Kosciusko Express chair and skinned up near Signature Hill, setting camp near North Ramshead. After digging in, we geared up to hit up Leatherbarrel Creek but as I put my skis on my heel throw snapped off clean in my hands! NOT HAPPY! My brand-new Axl's! On closer inspection it looks as though the plastic in the snapped section has some ripples, maybe making a weak spot... With skiing no longer an option for me I went for a short hike & took some snaps whilst Maria got in a few turns.
That night, nearby Charlotte's Pass recorded -15! ... and we felt it! In the morning I managed to rig my binding up so I could ski out, but I chose the download of shame on the Kosi Chair - unsure if my binding fix would be up for a big descent!
We stopped by Wild Brumby on the way home for nice lunch and to try some schnapps - which are pretty good, but the chili one sure packs a punch! Anyway, back in Sydney now - almost time to start packing for our big trip next week - we have assembled a team of 5 to head out and this time I'd like to get some skiing done!

High hopes for the drive down!




















Breakfast with a view! 

Heading out from the Eagle's Nest (top of Thredbo)


Camp for the night (and my new tent!)


...and I got a little trigger happy with the camera...


Maria digging our couch for the evening - too cold to sit out though!


Looking north up Thredbo Valley towards Jindy


Maria getting some turns on some ok snow


A few scenics...











Maria rugged up in a serious amount of down!


a nice sunset walk through the Ramshead Range



Thanks for watching, stay tuned for next weeks trip, planned out to Blue Lake at this stage :) Cheers!

1 comment: